Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Taking the plunge!



As you can see, the weather has turned very nice here on the Kapiti Coast of NZ! The pictures you see here are as follows: kids on the beach directly in front of our house (swimming at 7:30pm!), Becky swimming in front of our house after school with her new friend Ayla, and a view of our house from the beach at 7:30pm.
So we took our first plunge into the ocean today...a bit cold, but highly doable at this time of year. The kids have all acquired wet suits, which are a nice to have, but the lack of of one didn't stop Abby from stripping down to her knickers (that's unders for you Americans) and diving in when we were down at the beach after dinner. The kids are all outfitted with bikes, and life is getting easier. I'm told phone and internet will be in today, but I forgot to order the modem, so it may be a few more days. Communications are on the horizon, though. Even opened a bank account yesterday when I was in Wellington. I can't complain.

I do need to get myself back to some semblance of work today, though, so I'm off. I'll keep the pictures and the news coming.

3 comments:

dee said...

Hey guys, so great to see the happy faces and where you're calling home for the next few months. I can't believe how far away you are - it kind of boggles the mind! Jim was here for dinner last night, and on the weekend too around the trip to WV, so we're happy to be seeing him, but I miss you guys so much already. I'm glad you have good, kind and generous friends already and that the food is tasty! Can't wait for our first skype call. love you lots. Dee and the gang.

Anonymous said...

Hi Harris'
we were so glad to see you (via Skype) on the 22nd. jealous of the great weather as we shovel out of our first real snowstorm of the season. We're keeping Jim well fed and enjoying the time we spend with him (until he leaves us to come to you - he is very much looking forward to that.) Miss you all. The Burd's

Anonymous said...

hi Becky David and Abby,
I really miss you and I can't wait till you come back. I hope you are having a good time in NZ. We had 4 inches of snow. We were going to have the student staff basketball game on the 22nd but we had no school. Griffin and I made a snowman and we sprayed it with food coloring. We also made frostys. Griffin and I miss you a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Meghan and Griffin