Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Home is Where you are.

I have been thinking a lot about a lot of things, but most specifically about the memorial service for my dad. I haven't quite thought of all that I want to say yet, so that will come soon. It is amazing how far away it feels. Maybe because I am far away. I have recently been thinking about him and about the family. I'll get back to you.

Today's blog from me (Jim) is video viewing. This entry is a tour of the house as requested by my sister, Dee. I will also be entering a video of a Tui with a couple of pictures on another entry. This video is about 6 minutes, so if you are not interested in the house, don't watch. It's not terribly exciting, but it will help give everyone a sense of our nest here. I hope you enjoy the video as much as we enjoy this house. There is a coziness and familiarity about it that helps me (and us) to feel comfortable being in our home away from home. Today it is a beautiful, sunny day with a temperature of 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 Celsius). There has recently been a bunch (heaps) of rain, which has been welcome because they were in a little drought. We also had a very cold night the other night for a house without central heat. People adjust and burn everything that should and can be burned. Here, if they can't save the wood to reuse from a demolished structure they will cut it up into burnable sizes. It seems like a great way to reduce waste, save the environment, and put less stuff in the landfills. It's a far cry from the early days here when they cut down every tree in sight, it seems, so they could pack things up to send back to England. They are slowly replanting.

Anyway, enjoy the video.

1 comment:

dee said...

Thanks for the video tour Jimskers! It was nice to see where you spend your days and nights and it seems like a lovely place to call home, albeit TEMPORARILY! Which brings us to the start of the countdown which I believe is approx. four week and a half weeks or so until you all are back here! Yaaayyy!! Can't wait to see you guys. I know leaving there will be difficult in so many ways, but there are many open arms and happy hearts waiting to see your cheery faces back home again.
love you. Dee