Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Time of Change Part III

I want to spend a very short time letting people know that my dad died tonight after a short, but valiant, fight against lung cancer. He died peacefully in his sleep with his wonderful wife Carol and his three oldest children with him. Cal and I were here in NZ, of course. Cal and his family were on their way to Rotorua on the North Island when he died. They are spending the week heading north and going to places Carolyn and I have never been. I miss all of them so much already. It was special to have such special people with us as part of the adventure here. I can't imagine going through this week knowing that my dad was on his final breaths without my two best friends, Carolyn and Cal. Though it hurts like hell to lose a loved one, it stung a little less with Cal and his family here.

It also helps when I keep in mind that dad was so happy for our trip here. He loved us as deeply as one can love and be loved and, though not always as intimate as I have turned out to be, showed his love in many, many ways, not the least of which was to let us go and demand we not look back. As Carol so aptly said tonight, it seemed fitting for my dad to die on April Fool's Day. I agree wholeheartedly! If you have a chance to think about and thank a loved one, do it now. I'll wait... I hope you feel better, because I know I do.

Thank you for your support...

Love you dad!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Harris and Coughlin families - We checked the blog today to see how everyone is doing and saw the news about Bart. Please know that all of you are in our thoughts and prayers.

With sympathy,

The Mills'

Anonymous said...

Our deepest sympathies during this time of loss.

Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow, may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow. - Author Unknown

our prayers, the Burds

Anonymous said...

Friends,
We are so sad to hear about Jim's dad. We are sending you many hugs, and if there is anything that we can do to make this time easier, please let us know.
Love,
Shani and Rob

Debbie F said...

Harris Family,
We just heard about your loss and are so sorry. We're sending lots of Field Family hugs and kisses. I think he's smiling down at you and Cal knowing what a special trip you are sharing. Your and amazing person Jim, and we're privileged to know you and Carolyn. God bless all of you,
Debbie and Chris

jubjubpatt said...

Dear Jim, Carolyn, Becky, David, & Abby,
Sending you lots of love and hugs across the oceans...you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if we can do anything.

Love,
Kathy, Marty, Micah, Jacob, & Jub Jub Patt